Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PRESTON TO LONGRIDGE BUSES
16-12-2008, 06:02 PM
This is a question about the above bus service with reference to the village of Grimsargh. The village was also home to two stations a closed British railways one and a privately owned one. This station was owned by the County Lunatic Asylum at Whittingham, which was two miles away. The line had the distinction of being one of the few totally free railways in the UK.

The Asylum railway was integrated with the timetable bus service

Has anyone any bus timetables up to 1960 for the Preston to Longridge service?

Mark
Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2008, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2008 10:38 PM by TRN 810 V.)
RE: PRESTON TO LONGRIDGE BUSES
Yes, I have a Preston (Area No. 2) Timetable from 1960, not 3 feet away from the computer, which I use quite regularly. I use it before our Exhibition National goes out to various venues, as I try to display a route number and destination relevant to where the vehicle will be parked. Also displayed in the nearside front window of the National, are details of the service number, start and finish destination and the via's.

This well thumbed timetable was used a only a couple of days ago, to research for details of the next outing of the National, to Preston Model Railway Exhibition at Preston College, Fulwood on January 10th & 11th 2009, when the destination binds will show 145 Whittingham. (Service 145 Preston - Whittingham via Broughton & Whittingham House.) The National already has had the destination blind set for Whittingham and awaits the route numbers to be changed in the next few days.

Preston - Longridge Services

8 Preston - Longridge via Grimsargh
9 Preston - Clitheroe via Longridge
10 Preston - Chipping via Longridge
11 Preston - Blackburn via Longridge
143 Whittingham - Longridge via Direct Route

Works Service

W70 Preston - Chipping Tweedy's Foundry via Longridge

If you need any more information, please contact us again via the website or personally on the Exhibition Bus at Preston College. The Trust also has archived Ribble Area timetables from various dates, for both Express and Stage Carriage Services.
Find all posts by this user
01-01-2009, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2009 06:06 AM by TRN 810 V.)
Since writing the above reply I have been reading some old copies of British Railways Illustrated and by chance Volume 3 No. 3, December 1993 has an article on the Asylum Railway. It would appear that the L.M.S. closed the Preston to Longridge railway to passengers in 1930, but remained open for freight. The Asylum Railway also closed the section from Longridge to Grimsargh to passengers, but remained open to freight. Grimsargh became a Interchange for Preston - Whittingham bound bus passngers.

Quote " The Whittingham Railway did follow the example of the L.M.S., which discontinued passenger traffic in 1930 , but carried on an isolated service - mainly for the people working there, but also for visitors. Grimsargh had an omnibus service passing through to Preston on a rather more frequent basis than had Whittingham and as passengers had to change at Grimsargh, it made little difference if it was from road to rail rather than one station to another. "

Preston - Longridge, Bus Services 8,9,10,11, & W70 , all passed through Grimsargh to reach Longridge.
01-01-2009, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2009 06:22 PM by geoff@meek.)
A couple of years ago in a brew room discussion about something else, Chairman Ray expressed his surprise that whist driving through a residential area on the Eastern side of Preston a few days earlier he had gone over a level crossing.

It turned out to be the level crossing on Skeffington Road where the road was crossed by the Preston - Longridge railway line.

The railway line ceased to be used many years ago but there is still plenty of evidence to show that it was there. The line from Grimsargh to the Mental Hospital at Whittingham was in the later years used for carrying coal to feed the hospital's boilers. There were also several coal merchants' yards based in the area just north of the Preston - Longridge road near to Preston Prison and a large Courtaulds Factory at Red Scar, (just before Grimsargh), which received coal via the railway.

Geest Bananas had a ripening/distribution warehouse just off the line near the Blackpool Road. The bananas came in by rail from Preston Dock.

There was a railway station on Deepdale Road in Preston. The Station building is still there - now a solicitiors' office.

The station bridge over Deepdale Road.

The track bed looking east towards Longridge from the railway bridge. There is still a set of rails in the undergrowth to the left of the pathway.

One set of rails remains in place to just East of the level crossing at Skeffington Road.

Set into the pavement on the railway bridge are boundary markings showing the lettering ' L & N W & L & Y Ry Cos '.

01-01-2009, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2009 07:09 PM by leyland510.)
The Deepdale branch was open to freight well into the 1990s. I can;t find any photos references, but this helps to an extent; http://neilharvey4789.fotopic.net/p38762527.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
You've certainly provided me with lots of information. Would the headcodes of the buses be the same as in 1930 or was there continual change as there is nowadays?

If anyone has anything on the Asylum railway please let me know.
04-02-2009, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2009 09:50 AM by TRN 810 V.)
Although there may have been some very, very, minor changes to the route numbers, but not as happens now. The major change was on the 26th August 1935, when all routes were given a route number - although route numbers had been used for administration purposes before this time. In August 1935, the main trunk, inter-urban and rural routes were numbered chronologically from 1 to 704.

Preston to Blackburn, Nelson and Longridge taking numbers 1 - 11.

Services in the Preston area taking the numbers 98 - 174.

Most of these remaing the same up to the 1980's and in some cases later.

Special and School services being prefixed by "S", although Southport used "S" for the Liverpool services.

Workmens Sevices being prefixed by "W", although there were exceptions to these rules, as there were two Ribble services with the number 39 and three with the number 48, which operated at different parts of the Ribble empire - I digress.

There is an article on the Asylum Railway in a 1990's copy of British Railways Illustrated - I did take it to Freckleton about a month ago - Decmber 1993 Vol. 3 No.3.
04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
The Ribble, was running a 3 per hour to Grimsargh and onwards to Longridge in 1933.

The magazine "Railway Bylines, volume 6, issue 2 January 2001" has the best article on the Hospital Railway from the 7 that I have seen.
29-04-2012, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 08:33 PM by geoff@meek.)
Whittingham Hospital Railway 1884 - 1957
(The History of).

Consists of 100 pages; 104 photographs; 7 maps.
£12.00.
Direct from the author: Tel 01254 830754.
02-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I know its not Ribble bu there were plans to extend the Preston to Longridge railway through to Clitheroe to connect with the Clitheroe - Settle and Skipton to Leeds lines to carry coal and fish as it was shorter than the normal route via Blackburn. Permission was granted but only a small cutting was started around 100 yards long just north of the suspension bridge across the Ribble at Dinckley and just south of Hurst Green. Its still visible today!